Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Blob Scholar

A long time ago, I observed that some of Hans Arp's concretions were strikingly similar to painted biomorphic forms in the work of Yves Tanguy:












I approached the professor who prompted my observation, in order that I might learn about a connection, perhaps even impress the old man. He said he didn't know of any connections, but that I could "perhaps make a small contribution" to the field by researching the subject.  In some way that italics cannot really capture, the emphasis was on the word small.

So I never got around to researching the question, and in the years since have decided I don't care.  But maybe somebody else does, so take up thy mantle, Scholar of blobs.

Though the particulars of dates and influence don't much interest me anymore, I am still wondering (as perhaps you are) why anyone wants to use blobs as subject matter, and what they represent.

The generic answer is depiction of the unconscious.  But if you accept that all art, even everything a human does represents the unconscious, what is the difference between blob art and Mona Lisa?  

Does the specifed intent to create an unconscious landscape matter?

And if you accept that your perceptions are shaped by unconscious forces, does that make everything a representation?  Is there a difference between blob art and reality?

So, a blob scholar I remain.


No comments:

Post a Comment